Thursday, May 3, 2012

Experimenting with solids...

At Jace's 4 month doctor's appointment they told us that we could start feeding Jace solids if we wanted to, but we decided not to start right away for a few different reasons.  First, he didn't seem to need it. He's been sleeping through the night since he was 10 weeks old and he still seemed satisfied with just breast feeding.  So I personal didn't want to ruin a good thing...if he was happy, why change it? Secondly, the season was about to start.  I knew that within a couple weeks of his four month appointment we would be moving and that would be one more thing to have to worry about with the move.  And finally, I wanted to make my own food and since we would be moving soon I didn't want to make a bunch of food to just throw it away. So we waited until about a week ago to even start experimenting with any solids.  Jace is almost 6 months old so we figured we could get him started.

The first solid food that we tried was organic rice cereal....so exciting (sarcasm).  Since we moved from North Carolina we had to throw away my first batch of brown rice cereal (very sad!) so I had to opt for the store bought stuff until our cars were shipped to Florida and I had my handy dandy baby cooker again.  When I went to the store I looked for the best organic, preservative and chemical free rice cereal I could find!  Luckily Earth's Best makes a very simple dry rice feral that has nothing else in it...perfect!

The first time we tried Jace didn't know what to think.  I mixed a small amount of the cereal with some breast milk to make it taste familiar, put a bib on him and gave it a try!  He made the funniest face!  He didn't know what to think!  He tasted it a few more times before he was over it!  No more!  I trie d it a couple more times over the following week in between his normally feedings with little success. He was just not that interested....that was until I tried to feed him at a feeding time instead.  When he's hungry, the little guy loved it!!  But then he got so frustrated that he couldn't eat fast enough that he got upset and started crying!  Ha ha!  So we are still working on the best time to feed him, but now he's starting to eat a couple teaspoons at a time even between feedings.

Pre-rice cereal!  Hi Momma!

Chris held him for the first taste!

What was that mom?  (He's supporting the wolf pack with his bib!)

I don't know what I think about this stuff!
After a couple weeks of just rice cereal, we tried banana!   I mixed some mashed up banana with some breast milk and gave it a go.  He hated it!!  I was so surprised...I figured since it was sweet he would love it!  Maybe it was the new texture that threw him off.  I think I'm gonna try mixing some banana with the rice cereal that he's used to and see if that works. I swear it's all trial and error.

Now that I have my baby cooker again I'm going to have to start making some more homemade food again. Maybe I'll try a vegetable...if he's anything like his dad he will love his veggies! I guess we'll see!
First taste of banana



Gross!!  He closed his lips after this and wanted no more!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cutie! Try avocados! If he's anything like his momma, he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete